Penang reclamation deal off

on Tuesday, October 18, 2011 with 0 comments
Get All The Latest Updates...

1. Follow EntryBest Online on Facebook

2. Subscribe to the EntryBest Online News

Enter your email address:

3. Subscribe to the EntryBest Online RSS
Subscribe in a reader

GEORGE TOWN: The Penang Government will not proceed with land reclamation along the Bayan Lepas coastal area with Boustead Holdings Bhd after public consultation.
Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng said the state government had listened to the views of Putra Marine, Gold Coast and Bay Garden condominium residents in deciding not to pursue land reclamation at Bayan Bay.
“This decision by the state (government) follows the legal notice of defamation sent by Boustead to Pantai Jerejak assemblyman Sim Tze Tzin over his public remarks in defending the interests of his constituents.
“The legal notice is a form of pressure exerted on the state government,” he told a press conference at his office in Komtar yesterday.
Lim added that it was “wholly inappropriate” for the Penang Government to pursue the land reclamation deal with Boustead.
In a report earlier this month, Sim had said the state government was forced to negotiate with Boustead after it was required to scale down the height of the high-rise Royale Bintang Hotel approved to be built in the Unesco World Heritage zone under the previous state government.
“The developer was requested to reduce the height to no more than 18m (five floors from its original 12) in accordance with the new guidelines.” he said.
Lim said Boustead would still be required to comply with the height control of 18m within the heritage core zone in George Town.
“The company submitted the amended building plan on June 21 to scale down construction from 12 storeys with 300 rooms to seven storeys with 180 rooms,” he said.
Sim said he received the legal notice last Friday.
“I thank the chief minister (Lim) for standing by me in facing this challenging time. I don't regret helping the people in this matter.”
Bayan Bay Residents' Action Committee chairman Sharifah Hamidahsaid residents' were grateful to the state government for making the decision.
Meanwhile, Barisan Nasional co-ordinator for Pantai Jerejak Wong Mun Hoe said the effort taken by residents and Barisan in the form of a demonstration had been successful with the cancellation of the reclamation project.

Related Search :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

EntryBest Online

EntryBest Online gathers entries from all around the world through different websites and blogs. We are sorry that we are unable to state all the source of the entries. If you are the owner of the entries and not happy with it, please kindly contact us at Thank you!

Category: Local News , News



Post a Comment